Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Workin' Wednesday

It was a wonderful birthday. Cards, calls and even a party! My dear SIL, I can say that now, had us over for dinner. I walked in and saw this



Her Mom, Joan, made it and to skip ahead a bit, it was DELICIOUS!

Wonderful dinner of Beef Stroganoff and homemade bread, wonderful company and a lively game of "May I?", does not get much better. Food, friends and fun.

....and there were even presents!


I have my grandmother's Singer Featherweight. It was made the same month and year I was born. I was the first one to put a scratch on it when I was nine. I went into her apartment (in our house) and used it when she was at work to sew Barbie doll clothes. I was tired of sewing them by hand and had watched her intently as she sewed. I could do that. What I did not know is that you don't ever sew over the pins. It was a small scratch but nevertheless, a scratch. I tried everything my nine year old brain could come up with to make it go away, including spitting on it. It didn't. I put the machine away and left. The next time she used it, of course, she saw it. I lied. They let me keep up the lie for about a week. I finally broke down and admitted it and cried and cried and cried.

Anywhoo, when I got the machine years after her death, it smelled. Mildew. I could not get the smell out of the case (I know ways to now) and ended up throwing the case. Now that is something I regret because it was perfect except for the odor. My SIL surprised me with a reproduction case! Is she not beautiful? At least I can keep one of my prized possessions protected a little more. And she still sews a perfect seam.

As if that was not enough to make me weepy, out came this.



I don't know about you but a gift of a quilt from one quilter to another is just the best!

The quiltmaker,(cakemaker extrordinaire), Mother B.

To have people that love you and think of you this much is to be truly blessed.

As Always,

Deb



No comments:

Post a Comment