Sunday, March 10, 2013

Stash Report Week 10

Used this week: 2 yards
Used YTD: 58.75 yards

Added this week: 0 yards
Added YTD: 17 yards

Net:  -41.75 yards

Finished this tote for a swap. 

Had a sew-In yesterday. It was the perfect day to do it. Rained all day. The good part is that most of our snow melted. The bad part, it can't decide what to do this morning, mostly snow but turns to rain every once in a while. "Spring will come, Spring will come, Spring will come" is what I keep saying over and over. 

To take our minds off of the subject, we sew!

 Helping with decision making-quilters always have an opinion.
 Hey, look at me!
 Hardly heard a word from her.......


 This is what I am talking about. Baskets for Spring!

And I brought Hazel out today. She was feeling a little left out. Have I told you about her? Growing up my Grandmother lived with us for a bit. Grandpa had passed away. She had the downstairs apartment in our house. She was a wonderful seamstress and made many things for us. She was a "working" Mom. A Vice President of a company in St. Paul way ahead of her time. 
I loved to watch her sew and always wanted to learn. She said to wait until I was older. She taught me to hand sew. I made Barbie clothes. I had gotten a panel of fabric with pre-printed Barbie clothes on it. It had a cutting line and a sewing line. I did a few outfits and then decided one day that it would go faster if I used Grandmother's machine. I waited until the coast was clear and managed to get downstairs with no one catching me. I got the machine out and started sewing what I had "pinned" together. Yep, put a bog ol' scratch front and center on that machine. Panicked and put everything away!!!! About a week later, it was discovered by her and she was upset to say the least. I was asked if I had done the deed. I LIED! I was 9, I saw no other choice. It took me about 3 weeks to confess, the worst 3 weeks of my life. After I admitted it and apologized, she began to teach me the correct way to use it. 
She eventually remarried (to the best man from her 1st wedding) and moved. When she passed away, we received none of her belongings. Her husband then died about ten years later and we got many of her things returned including this. I was in my 20's, had a new Husqvarna/Viking 6690 which I loved and was not into old things then. lol I kept it stored away until about 15 years ago, had it cleaned up and used it as my back-up. My husband has replaced the plug end but otherwise she is totally original! She is now my traveling machine. She is so consistent, beautiful stitches and if anything goes wrong I can usually fix it in a couple of minutes. Oh and the scratches I made are now only part of her charm and my memories of Grandma Hazel!

This is what she produced. Look at some of those center squares, they have been in my stash forever!
There was food, fun and laughter. Can't wait for the next one!

On the agenda this week:
Dog sitting Lucy's favorite cousin
Guild Meeting - gotta go finish the Round Robin


As Always,

Deb






1 comment: